Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Relationship Statuses in Chinese

The Chinese language uses "separation" as a key word to describe relationship statuses. I never thought of deconstructing Chinese phrases, because I learned them as individual vocabulary words when I was a kid, as opposed to the construction of how the phrases came to be. I was taught to think like an optimist in school, but the foundation of relationship in the Chinese language rests upon the pessimistic word "separation". I thought it was confusing at first because I grew up in a society that teaches optimism in school. Here's my analysis:

Kit Fun means married, which literally translates to "[the] end [of the] separation", as if there was a norm of "togetherness" that everyone is expected to have since the very beginning of life.

Ding Fun means engaged, which literally means "stabilized separation". I first thought, 'why would there be separation in engagement?' I think what they're trying to say is that they're still separated, but in a stable relationship as well. But in English, a "stabilized separation" is not the same as "separated, but in a stable relationship."

Fun Sow means to break up. It literally translates to "separation [of] hands", as if it's normal for people to have someone's hand to hold to begin with.

Lei Fun means to divorce, which literally translates to "come separation". This is like saying, "Our separation has come", like it's something expected to happen sooner or later.

I was taught by many writing teachers/professors to change my writing into a more optimistic view as opposed to the pessimistic view. For example, they would tell me to change the product is cheap to the product is inexpensive. Professors penalize me for writing in a pessimistic view, opposed to the expected optimistic standpoint. I blame Chinese for making me write the way I do. Too bad I'm a conformist.

But still, I love how I use Chinese metaphors all the time without realizing how funny their literal meanings are.

My favorite:
Gwai leen how - Describing someone screaming as if a ghost is choking one by one's throat. I ask my mom "Gwai leen how ah?" when she speaks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment